Are you just repeating the same mistakes on cloud? Common indicators you’re failing include:
- You’ve more than one persistent environment – you could argue your production environment should be persistent. That’s it!
- You’re using humans to build your environments – don’t! Relentlessly automate. Everything-as-code.
- You’re using humans to push a release live – relentlessly automate!
- You think orchestration is something to do with music – it’s not!
- You think DevOps and CloudOps can be achieve with the right tools – they can’t! It’s a culture, a way of working.
- You think you’re agile and you don’t have an automated pipeline – CI is the new agile.
- You’ve more that 20% of your testing though the UI – it’s so 80’s!
- Your team work weekends – why? There is no need!
- You don’t sleep in the few days leading up to a major release – scrap that… the fact you have a major release!?!
- You think processes not principles – empowerment and innovation start with principles.
- You think everything is suited to cloud – it isn’t! Some workload simply don’t translate.
- You’re operating a multi-cloud environment without a clear reason why – one step away from chaos… and cloud sprawl.
Remember, it’s not the tech, it’s how you use the tech that makes the difference.